Thursday, April 20, 2006

Liberdade, the Japanese neighborhood



The city of São Paulo has the largest population of Japanese people living outside Japan. They came to Brazil in the begining of the XX century to work in farms mostly (as slavery was abolished in 1888). In São Paulo, they've settled in a neighborhood that would be later called Liberdade (freedom). I love the street lamp posts and the signs in Japanese.

My grandparents were among Japanese immigrants. My grandfather was a photographer (surprise, surprise!) and my grandmother helped him in the studio and ran the house. I didn't get to meet my grandma and I don't remember my grandpa much. He didn't speak much Portuguese and it was hard for me to understand the little he said with a very thick Japanese accent. He used to give me candy and he had puzzles inside cans for the granchildren to play with when we visited.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rodney said...

Wow! I did not know that. This is a great shot looks like you took it in Japan!

1:37 PM  
Blogger Lisi said...

agree with Rodney, I checked the address again to make sure I'm not in a Japan blog...and I thought Hawaii has the largest number of Japanese immigrants...now I know and thanks for sharing your family story

5:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This place is just awesome... I always go there on saturdays (Yes, i live in Brazil and i was born here.).
I miss this place, a lot.
I'm happy on seeing a Liberdade picture on the internet. Never tought such a thing would ever happen...

That's REALY a nice place to spent your time...

,Aeon

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home